New changes this week in Copper fill in some of the gaps that show up when trying to use Copper for real-world projects. The first of these is the indication of the support of multiple interfaces, which solves the dilemma of distinguishing between polymorphic objects turned into Copper objects. The second is the addition of a system function that enables the sharing of user-created function bodies.
In other notes, the string_map extension received a bug fix for not correctly returning when “exit” was called in the middle of the callback function it was given.
Continue reading “Progress Report #10 – Filling in Gaps”
Branch 6, version 0.51 has a couple of important bug fixes.
An old bug in Copper that had gone under the radar for a while: The system functions “all” and “any” had been flipped in functionality. Each one was doing the other’s job. The bug was probably introduced during a rewrite of those functions.
CallbackWrapper was also fixed. The Copper callback is now disowned in the destructor so its lifetime is now correctly tied to the CallbackWrapper.
That recent change I made to speed up the processing also revealed a bug that occurred whenever a function scope was resized. This led to an overhaul of the variable storage system that may or may not have been necessary but will speed things up anyways because there are fewer function calls to make.
At the same time, I’ve decided to change some language semantics. Previously, when assigning data (such as a number) to a variable, the original function was retained, but the return was now a “constant return”. This meant that calling the function on the variable would return this “constant return” rather than the function, yet the members of the original function were still accessible. This “constant return” feature was originally designed to be a shortcut, but, ironically, it goes against the intended language design because this syntactic sugar was actually intended to be a shortcut for creating a new function. Now it will be.
Continue reading “Progress Report #8”
These past couple weeks, I’ve run across a couple of rather serious bugs, resulting in fixes now incorporated in version 0.41 (master/Enu). On the C++ side, everything was fine, but as far as the language of Copper is concerned, certain things were horribly wrong. Such is the nature of software.
Continue reading “Bug Fixes! (Version 0.41)”